NaysPinkBookshelf

Nay's Pink Bookshelf

A girl in her early 20's reading all things YA and NA

Essence

Essence - A.L. Waddington **This book was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review**

Gave this a 4.5 stars!

Where do I begin with this beautiful book! This definitely turned out more different than I expected it to be and I am very much in love with this series so far.

Let me start off by saying the cover is absolutely gorgeous! I love the color, the butterflies, the girl flinging her hair and the font. The cover is absolutely perfect in my opinion.

The writing was flawless. It flowed easily from year to year. The characters were mostly loveable and I felt every emotion poured out.

As far as the storyline goes, I was highly impressed. When I started reading the book I was a bit confused because it's one protagonist, Jocelyn Alyssa, in two different time periods (1878 and 2009). One minute we are in the life of present day Jocelyn and the next we are seeing past Jocelyn. The crazy thing is that she is the same person.

Present day Jocelyn is a simple high school girl that plays sports with a family, one brother and friends. Past day Jocelyn has four brothers, friends, plays the piano and has a fiance. The only other constant characters throughout the book are Jackson Chandler and his parents Emily and Robert.

The Chandler's move to Chicago in a house right across from Jocelyn's which happens to be their original home back 1878. Jackson starts to come around Jocelyn and her friends, but she seems to get sick. Jocelyn begins to have these visions every time she faints when Jackson touches her. Visions of her life in 1878 with him.

Obviously their present day relationship has many struggles to it, but the reasoning behind everything just was awesome. Finding out that the Chandler's knew what was going on with Jocelyn and telling her the truth was great especially since they explained the meaning of EVE.

This is definitely a great paranormal story with a strange twist on time travel.

My favorite parts:
+ Jocelyn receiving the watch in both time periods which says "Time Will Reveal My Love"...I just find that to be so fitting for this story.
+ Jocelyn, in 1878, giving her wedding dress to her best friend Olivia for her wedding to make her feel loved.
+ Jackson, in 2009, telling Taylor off at the
Halloween party.
+ The Chandler's explaining what EVE was by telling Jocelyn about her special ability.
+ Jocelyn's parents in 1878 saving Olivia from her evil parents.

What I didn't like:
+ The way the Adam's (Olivia's parents) starved her.
+ Taylor being ignorant and trying to get Jackson's attention.

Overall, this book was excellent. Even though it ended a bit off for me with past Jocelyn crying wanting to see the vision of her present self it was still great. Personally needed a bit more to give it a full five stars, but an awesome start to a series nonetheless.