NaysPinkBookshelf

Nay's Pink Bookshelf

A girl in her early 20's reading all things YA and NA

Breeder (An Arrow's Flight Novel)

Breeder (An Arrow's Flight Novel) - Casey Hays **I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review**

Gave this book a 4.5.

Can you imagine living in a feminist world? Becoming a tool instead of a person? A world where everything you were taught was lie? A world where men were held captive for one thing? I can't, but in this enthralling story we meet a protagonist that lives in such a world.

Sixteen year old Kate lives in a village full of only women that allow their astrological sign, the Archer and Fate determine their whole life. On Kate's sixteenth birthday, the day she's always dreaded, her celebration ensues. It's the day she becomes a Breeder. She refuses to take part and follow suit but as no one has choice she's forced to The Pit.

What is a breeder? A breeder is a job given to a sixteen year old girl to help keep the population growing by mating with men for the rest of her life. Mates are chosen by Mona, their twisted leader. As a sixteen year old this is sort of a right of passage into womanhood.

Even though their are no men in the village, Mona and a few others go out to kidnap men from other villages. Why are there no men? The council believes that men caused the fall of humanity.

Despite what Kate was taught about men when she met her mate Ian her view changed. They slowly built a friendship that turned into love. As Kate and Ian talk more she begins to learn that maybe there is more to life than the village taught her.

I love that Kate and Ian's love wasn't instalove. I love how Kate stood by her own belief and wanted to live her own life. I hated Mona the whole story and couldn't be happier with how it ended. I loved the writing style and first person point of view. I love the scriptures at the beginning of each chapter.

Casey Hays has a great series on the rise and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great dystopian world that's different. The copy I received also had a sneak peek at book 2 and man oh man. Can't wait to find out more about Eden (Ian's village).