NaysPinkBookshelf

Nay's Pink Bookshelf

A girl in her early 20's reading all things YA and NA

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky I don't even know where to begin. I did not love the book, but I didn't hate it. I've been stuck between giving this book 3 stars and 4 stars. It just wasn't that good to me. The writing style was pretty interesting, the first part definitely made me giggle every now and then but as I moved on to part two of the story I got bored and part three didn't grasp my attention until the last few entries written.

Charlie's character was really good. I loved that he grew over the course of this freshman year by hanging out with seniors and his life experiences with his family was intriguing.

This book definitely does delve into the experience of a public high school from the POV of a nervous guy. All the characters: Patrick, Sam, Charlie's sister, Bill the teacher, Mary Elizabeth -- they were all great, but for some reason the book just did not grasp my attention after the first part.

I even had to stop reading just to watch the movie (which I loved more than the book) just to get me interested in finishing the book.

Would I recommend it? Maybe, depending on the person. But I would say watch the movie first.