NaysPinkBookshelf

Nay's Pink Bookshelf

A girl in her early 20's reading all things YA and NA

Dreaming of the Sea

Dreaming of the Sea - Heidi Garrett **I received this book in exchange of an honest review.**

Gave this a 4.5 stars.

Dreaming of the Sea was absolutely amazing. Even though it dragged a bit for me, I totally enjoyed every part of the story. The story follows Gia Chanel, formerly known as Gertrude, and her life as an apprentice to a Sea Witch and her life as the new Sea Witch. She never really liked living in ocean. She was always curious to find land and explore. One day she gets the opportunity to and she loves it, but as she gets older the devil visits her and reminds her that she needs to find an apprentice or her soul will not rest, but suffer in hell for all the wrong she has done. She uses Cole to help her find an apprentice.

Cole is a the third prince of the mer people. He is bound to Gia due to an "agreement" (can't say because it will spoil everything). He seemed to be very sweet and as the story goes on I learned to truly love him. Even though he has a bit of bitterness towards Gia (for reasons acceptable) he always cared for her.

Miriam is a sweet, orphan girl that answers the ad for the job. She never knew what she was stepping into even though Cole tried his hardest to warn her. Despite the warnings and her curiosity she accepted the job. Cole falls for her and she falls for him and their love definitely prevails all. When Gia dies, Miriam becomes the new Sea Witch, but because of her upbringing the devil simply can't have her.

In the end, Miriam becomes well respected, her love for Cole breaks all boundaries and it all ends so perfectly. I wouldn't really call this a retelling of the Little Mermaid, but more so an extension as to the Sea Witch and how she came to be.

Great novella!